Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Saturday, June 17, 2006

We Got Game!

Now we just have to beat USA...

OK, two concessions and two rebuttals:

I concede:
1. That the foul that resulted in a penalty being awarded to Ghana was complete and utter theater.
2. That the late foul on the Czech player should have been a penalty.

Nevertheless:
1. The penalty kick went off the post, resulting in no point scored.
2. Had the Czechs' penalty gone in, the score would still have been 2-1.

My point is that the Czechs seemed just to give up around the 68th minute. I'm a big fan of the Czech Republic, and I know Ghana's midfield is, like, the best in the world, and I know the best Czech strikers are out with injuries... But I was still dissatisfied with the Czech Republic in the last 25 minutes or so of the match. They gave up attacking and just played the "offsides trap" game with the Ghanaian attackers, even when they were only one goal down and should have been trying like anything to score.

What happened to the supposed No. 2 team in the world? On Monday, when Ghana was in a similar spot against Italy, they kept on playing, leading the president of FIFA say that the Ghana-Italy match was the best football he had seen yet, and the Italian coach to say that in many ways, Ghana was a better team than Italy.

4 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, Blogger Ted Swedenburg said...

sorry, dude, but i'm rooting for the USA to beat Ghana. always go with the underdog...

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you'll be doing tomorrow (night?) :) Chuck would be doing it with you except that he is in the nether reaches of the upper peninsula of MI at the IVCF Faculty Camp. You'll have to savor the moments for two. The reason I am not with him (and Jenny) is that I went to a Legacy of Samuel Zwemer conference in Dearborn last weekend instead...now I'm praying that YOU'LL find a job in that incredible area :) They could use you and your knowledge of the culture(s) and pop culture/music, language, etc. Of course, I am not known for the effectiveness of my prayers/plans for people's futures, but nevertheless....:)

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Ted: technically, the USA is still ranked in the top 10 (eighth, I think) while Ghana is ranked something like 63rd in the world...

Barbara: sounds fun--I'll have to learn all about it when I get back...

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Ted, it's actually 5 for the USA and 48 for Ghana...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home