Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Friday, September 15, 2006

Seeking Arabic sha'abi song

Sorry I haven't been posting--too busy! Right now I'm hot on the trail of a track from the 1960s or 1970s, "Mustafa Ya Mustafa." It makes an appearance at the end of one of the tracks I'm working on, mentioned previously, by Barry: "Johnny Walker Bush." I didn't recognize it at first because I didn't know the original.

I've found a cover from 2003, recorded in Belgium by Moroccan pop star Khalid Bennani (pictured), but I'm looking for the original. (You can listen to a 20-second clip at the site above.) My friend says he's sure the original song was Egyptian, but neither he nor the record shop guy can remember the name.

It's not one of the "big" names (Halim, Oum Kulsum, and the like), but rather a sha'abi (popular) singer. Any ideas?

2 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I stumbled on your blog after googling for info on Impasse of the Angels...

I don't know the original signer of ya mostafa, but I have a friend in switzerland who is obsessed with this song! she has like 20 different versions of it...

http://www.gildedserpent.com/art32/messiounMustafa.htm

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Thanks for the tip! I'll repost the link in your comment to the blog--this site is really great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home