Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election Atonement

Ohio has tried to atone for electing Dubya in 2004. They have done so by voting in nearly every Democrat they could--no matter how untested--and throwing out almost all the Republican bums, even the (few) reasonable and competent ones. Yay Democracy!

Governor: I understand why they rejected Ron Blackwell. He's a right-wing ideologue, too close to the colossal incompetence of Bob Taft, and even closer to some of Ohio's abysmally seamy corruption scandals. Corruption is typical in Ohio, but some of this stuff the past two years has been enough to turn the stomachs of even the state's most jaded politicos. To tell the truth, I never heard enough about Ted Strickland to convince me why he was better than anyone else apart from Blackwell. But with Blackwell so far behind in the polls, it really didn't matter. So I voted Green.

Senator: This is the one that really bowls me over. Two-term Senator Mike DeWine was one of the "Gang of Fourteen" that opposed Bush on a judicial appointments, and he's shown himself to be both independent and an accurate representative of his constituents, a moderate and reasonable Republican. So how did the voters reward him? "Throw the bum out!" Sherrod Brown has impeccable left credentials, but his campaign ads focused either on his opponent's supposed failings or his own opposition to the war. Now, I'm as down on the war in Iraq as the next leftist academic Middle East expert (wannabe). But that doesn't mean I'm going to reduce myself to voting for a one-issue candidate. I actually kinda liked the spirit of the dialogue and conviviality that DeWine tried to inject into Congress's poisonous partisan atmosphere. But I knew DeWine would lose so I voted for him, as much a reward for standing apart last year as for anything. (No Greens were running.)

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SURPRISE! Happy Birthday!

 
At 2:54 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Yes gentle readers, I turn 32 tomorrow. I have two more years to be battered by advertisers seeking that elusive demographic. My temples are graying, my forehead keeps getting shinier, and I may soon be blind, deaf and crippled.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, John. I'm with you on the Ohio elections (though I didn't vote green for the gov). Did you know that DeWine's son is now a student at COW and that his daughter graduated from here just before she was killed in an auto accident? The DeWines gave a journalism internship scholarship in her name.

 
At 6:22 AM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Thanks Barbara. Although I'm confident that all major politicians in Ohio have to sell their souls to the devil to get squared away with the political machines, DeWine seems like a decent human being and a good senator. I didn't know about the COW connection.

I'm worried about this Congress. Too many people appear to be in there with for no other reason than that they had "D" after their names instead of "R." My reasoning is, if both parties tend to give us corrupt incompetents when we're not looking, why not try a Green or Libertarian instead? He or she could hardly be any more corrupt or incompetent...

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Emmanuel.K.Bensah II said...

Hi John! Happy birthday, albeit belated. I'm on you about the "R" and "D" prefacing Congressmen's names. The quality exding from the Democrats is not all that impressive...

 
At 8:02 AM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Thanks Emmanuel!

As for politics: I propose that professional genres are more influential than any stated (aesth)et(h)ics. In other words, the behavior and attitudes of two politicians from opposite sides of the spectrum will be more similar than the behaviors and attitudes of, say, a leftist politician and a leftist ordinary person.

How's that sound?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home