Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Public Enemy No. 1

If a new law passes, New York City will ban Crisco use in restaurants, although it appears that it might remain on store shelves, for a while at least.

This might make it hard for vegans to enjoy pastries, since the only substitute for Crisco is butter or lard. A total ban on Crisco would also radically reshape how busy people cook, since--as anyone who's ever watched Jacques and Julia knows--when you make your crust with butter, you have to chill the crust in between mixing it and rolling it out.

Further, I think such a law might oppress those of a certain class position who were raised with Crisco. I know, the diet was subsidized and legislated... But one could say the same for "Border" (Tex-Mex) food, with its tripe, mystery meat, and "refried beans," the culinary leftovers from white society's desire for filets and T-bones.

And some might argue that tripe is also dangerous. But just try to ban it, I dare you...

I say, rise up in defense of Crisco!

5 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Though I would not use it today (unless I were to make my mother's delectable icing), I agree. What business does the gov'ment have in this affair? Besides, there was a kid in the late 70s who benefited greatly from Crisco. He had some skin condition of which his only reprieve was the slathering of Crisco on his body...

 
At 2:00 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Yes, exactly! For that kid, Crisco was a lifesaver. What would that kid have done in NYC in 2008, when Crisco will have gone the way of such dangerous products as DDT, lead paint, and those pull-tab pop cans?

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Jamie Brandon said...

MY GOD! I STILL use crisco (as opposed to lard) in my biscuit recipties and the like....what the hell?!?!?!

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Yes, my response exactly. I had heard all about these "TRANS FATS" and thought, yes, ban "trans fats," see if I care, whatever...

Then Rachel said, "You know, that's Crisco."

"OH REALLY?!!!!!"

Chalk another one up for Newspeak.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Also, Jamie, did you like that little unacknowledged ref to Jose Limon and "Carne, Carneles, & the carnivalesque..."?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home