Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Friday, November 24, 2006

Now I've Got the Fame Down

Fortune must be just around the corner. I hereby claim credit as the sole discoverer of nevertheless used as a negative-form additive connector in American English. That is, until the real discoverer steps forward.

If you do this with a bird or insect, you get to call it after yourself, right? How does "schaeferensis" strike the ear?

More typical negative-form additive connectors include not to mention, nevermind, or to say nothing of. Here are my two examples so far:

"N.C. State fans don’t take well to losing to the hated Tar Heels, nevertheless 23-9 to a 1-9 UNC team playing for a lame-duck coach."

"Miami can continue to have both and help kids that may never have seen the campus of college, nevertheless a private school."

2 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello John,
Do you remember telling me that the reason the other girls didn't like me was because I was wierd? You said it was the same reason they didn't like you. I always liked you for that. I've thought of that often over the years, and I've always thought that if I ever spoke to you, I would thank you. That statement had a great impact on my life, and has directly affected the way I treat other people. So thank you. I hope your life brings you joy, happiness, and content. Marinel

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Wow! Back to eighth grade! Marinel, so good to hear from you. What's going on with you? Email me if you like: sandema@yahoo.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home