Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

At Long Last

Chapter 11: Discussion Lists and Public Policy on iGhana: Chimps and Feral Activists, John Philip Schaefer. Buy this book here.

Academic publishing takes a long time. This chapter started in December 1999, when I turned in a short final paper in JoAnn D'Alisera's course Peoples and Cultures of Sub-Saharan Africa. She liked it and got it into a panel at the American Ethnological Society annual meeting in May 2001.

So I rewrote it as a presentation that spring. Around the same time (and I assume with JoAnn's help) I got invited to a workshop in Sweden organized by Kyra Landzelius, who also edited the book. I gave another talk at the workshop, then scrapped several subsequent versions.

I worked on it that fall (2001) some more, got a final version in to Kyra in spring 2002, then another final version over the summer of 2002, before finally getting the final final version done in the fall of 2003. Then it stewed for a couple more years before getting going again in 2005, but the publication date kept getting pushed back.

But at long last, here we are.

4 Comments:

At 1:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, congrats man! Good Job! The book looks fascinating, but I haven't bought a new book in years. With 4 kids, I have to settle for used ones. And it's too late to ask for it for Christmas, but maybe after....Marinel

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Thank you! The advice to buy the book was aimed toward my loaded readers who can still afford to buy books and CDs, unlike me, who can no longer afford to buy books or CDS.

Oh yes! We are no longer DINKs (Double-Income-No-Kids), like we were last year. I guess we are now SIKs (? I just made that last one up), since we have one income and a kid.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger John Schaefer said...

Oh oh! How about OINKs?! One-Income-New-Kid!!!

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Barb said...

Whatever the label, enjoy it and being a new author. Merry Christmas.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home