For those of us who will soon be spending a lot of time around people who were born in 1989, and who will further need to be able to convince them to trust our judgment and understanding, there are materials to help. Here's one: The Beloit Mindset List 2011, filled with reminders for those faculty members for whom 1997 (or 1987, or 1977) was just a couple years ago... I mean, what? A decade ago? Dude.
1. What Berlin wall?
11. Rap music has always been mainstream.
39. Fox has always been a major network.
46. Most phone calls have never been private.
(Alternate: Upon receiving a call, the typical first question has always been "Where are you?"
48. Microbreweries have always been ubiquitous.
51. China has always been more interested in making money than in reeducation.
55. MTV has never featured music videos.