Just Wanna Know

Revolutionary Propaganda Organ

Friday, August 17, 2007

I am a resource thief

As the handbasket hurries toward hell, one more normal activity (trying to ignore advertising) is in the process of becoming hyperbolically criminalized.

According to Slashdot, some sites--objecting to a powerful adblocking plug-in that FireFox users can install--have begun blocking all Firefox browsers. Ho-hum, for me, right now. I guess I might get more upset if I get blocked from some of my favorite sites. Right now it feels more likely that I'll just stop going there... Like I have time to surf the web anyway, right?

The twisted arguments of these folks deserve some attention, though:

Software that blocks all advertisement is an infringement of the rights of web site owners and developers. Numerous web sites exist in order to provide quality content in exchange for displaying ads. Accessing the content while blocking the ads, therefore would be no less than stealing. Millions of hard working people are being robbed of their time and effort by this type of software.


It's always ultimately a question of rights, right? I guess the argument would make sense if kept to the realm of trade and commerce. But when rights are evoked and words like "stealing" used, I shudder.

It's people like these what cause unrest.

1 Comments:

At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home